Every year, millions of animals are exploited in biomedical, aeronautic, automotive, military, agricultural, and cognitive research, and in consumer product testing in the U.S. An estimated 95% of these animals are not protected by the law. These tests often amount to legally-sanctioned animal abuse.
So why is the law failing animals?
The Animal Legal Defense Fund presents a brand new leaflet called “Animal Testing and the Law.” This glossy, full-color brochure presents a highly researched synopsis of the status of animal exploitation in laboratories today. Inside the pages you will learn:
- The USDA has 120 inspectors to oversee more than 12,000 facilities that test, exhibit, or breed animals.
- Legal tests include burning, poisoning, starving, mutilating, blinding, electrocuting, and drowning animals, or depriving infants any contact with their mother.
- Illegal incidents include open-heart surgeries with no painkillers and boiling live monkeys as well as drawing blood from malnourished goats.
Are these tests necessary?
- Many scientists believe in vitro testing is scientifically superior to savage animal-based testing.
- Cancer antibody testing is best conducted with human cells.
What about the rest of the world?
- Laboratory testing on chimpanzees is banned in the United Kingdom (and may be reduced in the U.S.).
- Cosmetic testing is banned in the European Union.
What You Can Do!
- Contact your legislators and ask that laws protecting animals be enhanced and followed.
- Contact your alma mater, urging it to adopt humane teaching methods.
- Sign ALDF’s Model Ordinance for Great Apes.
- Avoid commercial products from companies that test on animals. Use alternatives.
And distribute this leaflet! Animal Testing and the Law is perfect for distribution at events, medical schools, law schools, local bookstores and libraries! By sharing this leaflet, you speak up for animals!
Posted by ALDF.org on August 2